FeedMe travels the world, working on organic farms and eating her way through nine countries


November 2, 2007

Rotoiti Farm

Spent 10 days on my best WWOOFing experience so far, and the farm was damn cool as well. It's nice to be back in the 20th century, and while a small operation that relies on a lot of man power, this feels much more like a commercial farm.

Rotioti Farm is owned by Sue and Roger More. They have ~100 acres, mostly fenced for sheep and beef, but the real money maker is the organic free range eggs. I've heard they get $10 NZ for them in Auckland, and lucky me, I got to eat them for free every day. They have about 1,000 hens that they get when 6 wks old, throw them in one of four chook sheds ("chook" is New Zealand for chicken), and then make them lay, lay, lay for 18 months or so. The hens are remarkably happy and tame. They like to follow people around, and will start a mad clucking at the sound of Sue's voice. The whole operation is deceptively simple. They've fenced in yards and built sheds according to the EU free range organic standards (BIG yards, lots of feeders and nest boxes, perches, etc.) This means the chickens act like chickens, which is to say cannibalistic beasts that follow a strict hierarchy. I've seen older chickens running around with bloody holes in them, as the other members think nothing of taking a bite or two of their mates. You see why many organic operations laser off the beak tip. Though the chickens have the best living environment I've ever seen, so hate to see how stressed out birds act.

My job on the farm was actually pasture maintenance. Which means whacking thistle and foxglove with a dipper. Very satisfying, especially when you get the stroke just right and the offending weed jerks out by it's roots and goes sailing across the paddock. The other task was digging out brambles, which while also satisfying, produced a horrible series of bloody scratches over my face and arms. At times all I really wanted to do was investigate Napalm application.

The couple who owned the farm was a delight. Tons of books, help myself to feed, and lots of long rambling discussions over wine each night with dinner. They also took me around when they went out to coffee with the neighbors, on a restorative trip to the hot springs, and to some local organic meetings. I don't know if Southland will be this relaxing, but headed to Marama Farm near Gore on November 5th.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, sounds great! The husband and I have chickens here in our Tucson backyard, and their brutal pecking order drives me batty. Nothing more pitiful than a sweet, friendly chicken going bald thanks to her sisters! Alas, chickens will be chickens.

annapurna said...

I read this story in middle school about a barnyard of chickens that pecked themselves to death until only one was left. I always thought that was fictional...the things you learn on a farm.