FeedMe travels the world, working on organic farms and eating her way through nine countries


September 9, 2007

Calcutta

Egg roll stands every 100 yards. Thick dough, fried in ghee, they cook an egg on top, layer in onions, spices, Indian ketchup and hot sauce, then load it with your choice of cheese, chicken or mutton. Indian meets China: heaven


The sweets man on the corner has a suitcase full of petit fours that he displays. I buy one in the morning, but always end up giving half to the children who cluster around begging for one. The street kids here are professional quality. One followed me for two blocks, tugging on my arm to make me drop the ice cream cone I was eating. The Indians all found it enormously funny, and I was tempted to give her something for her persistence, but didn't want her to inflict herself on the next tourist.


Fish, the only seafood I've felt comfortable eating in India. I'll have to wait until Thailand to try some more as I don't think it's part of the Nepalese diet at all


The Jewish baker in the marketplace who makes rolls that taste just like the supermarket ones Ya-Ya buys for thanksgiving . . .I had 4 for breakfast this morning.

No comments: